The latest update to the Facebook app has become a source of frustration for the Android community due to a broken back button. Users have reported that, contrary to previous behavior, pressing the back button while using Facebook for Android no longer takes them back to the previous page.
Android users facing issues with the back button in the Facebook app are forced to use the app’s own back button as an alternative. Interestingly, this problem is not specific to a specific manufacturer’s devices, as reports of this problem have come from users of phones made by Samsung, Xiaomi and Google.
The frustration among affected Android users is understandable, as the back button is a fundamental element of the user experience of navigation and reflexive behavior, and its failure can significantly disrupt the user experience. Users are expected to look forward to a fix or solution to this issue from Facebook’s development team in a future update.
This issue did not exist in previous versions prior to v439, and is not an issue in v438. As a result, users had to resort to using the app’s built-in back button, located in the top-left corner of an open Facebook post, to return to the previous page. This change understandably frustrated Android users who were used to easier navigation.
What is the problem with the back button not working on Facebook for Android?
An issue with a broken back button in the Facebook app has caused significant frustration among users, disrupting the usual navigation experience. Typically, when users open a Facebook post, they can return to the previous page using their phone’s default navigation method, whether it’s physical buttons or gestures. This is usually done with a single tap or swipe. However, the issue now requires users to long press the back button to initiate the desired action. For those using gesture-based navigation, there doesn’t seem to be an easy workaround.
Initially, many Pixel users started reporting back button not working on Facebook for Android. However, for users on Moto, OnePLus, Samsung and Xiaomi are also reporting the issue only for the Facebook app. None of them have reported a back button issue with any other app.
Reports of this issue have been popping up on Reddit for a few days now, and some Facebook users have confirmed that the back button issue is also present in beta versions of the app. The good news is that the beta channel usually receives more frequent updates, so it’s likely that the upcoming update to the v440 beta will fix the back button issue. Moving to the beta version could be a practical solution. Alternatively, users can roll back to the previous version v438, which does not exhibit this issue.
The exact cause of this problem remains unclear, but it was first noticed back on Friday, and it’s pretty certain that it’s a problem with Facebook. Some speculate that the issue may have been triggered by an update quietly released by Facebook. This wouldn’t be unprecedented, as the social media giant has rolled out features without notifying users in the past.
The problem seems to have appeared after a recent app update, which raised the version number from 438 to 439. Testing confirmed that the back button works correctly in version 438, but the bug becomes apparent in the newer version 439. Unfortunately, this problem is not limited to users using a traditional 3-button navigation system; it also affects those using gesture-based navigation.
How to fix Facebook back button not working?
Many users from all over the world have encountered this problem and have tried to solve it in various ways, including restarting the phone and uninstalling the app, but all without success. Some have reluctantly turned to using the app’s own back button as a workaround, though they find this approach unintuitive.
So far, Facebook has not responded to complaints on Twitter, leaving users to wait for a solution to the problem and hope for a fix in the app’s next update.
Nevertheless, several solutions have been proposed by various sources to solve this problem. Here is a summary of the proposed solutions:
- Sign out and sign back in: Try to resolve the issue by signing out of your Facebook account within the app and then signing back in.
- Update your app: Make sure you’re running the latest version of the Facebook app by updating it to the latest version available in your device’s app store.
- Close other apps: Close any other apps that may be running in the background while using the Facebook app to reduce potential conflicts.
- Uninstall recently installed apps: If you installed other apps around the same time the back button problem occurred, consider uninstalling them to check for potential conflicts.
- Long press the back button on the Facebook app: Try pressing and holding the back button inside the Facebook app for at least four seconds. This prolonged pressure can trigger a rebound action.
- Restart your device: Restarting your device can sometimes resolve software-related issues, including those related to the back button.
- Review your navigation settings: Make sure your device’s navigation settings are configured correctly. Make sure gesture-based navigation, if used, is set up as intended.
- Contact Facebook Support: If the issue persists, consider contacting Facebook Support for assistance and officially reporting the issue.
It is important to note that these solutions may not work for all users, and the root cause of the problem likely lies within the application itself. Affected users will look forward to an official fix from Facebook in a future app update to fully resolve the back button issue.
Make Facebook great again! Put the back button back where it was!
Links: Back Button Broken On Facebook For Android Users Only! Here Are Few Workarounds – Tekmonk Bio, Back Button Broken On Facebook For Android Users Only! Here Are Few Workarounds – Kungfutv, Back Button Broken On Facebook For Android Users Only! Here Are Few Workarounds – Blogtomoney